Monday, April 4, 2011

i am "that" mom

I remember judging other moms.  The ones who yelled at their kids in the grocery store.  Or the ones whose really young kids said things from movies that were inappropriate.  Or the ones whose kids had dirty fingernails and dirty faces, or whose kids ran around uncontrolled at church gatherings, or the ones who let their little boys play with toy weapons.  I could go on, but you get the point. 

I am that mom that I used to judge.  Maybe you judge me now.  Or maybe you are older and wiser and you laugh at me because you know.  Some of you may even have compassion when I lose it in Wal-Mart.  Or when my 5 year old talks about "flaming sacks of doo-doo" (thank you Penguins of Madagascar) or when my 2 year old's teacher tells the nanny (because I'm "that" mom and the teacher barely knows me), "he keeps saying 'Oh poop' and the other kids are saying it . . . .."  (thank you Despicable Me).  Or when I sit my kids in front of the TV becuase I just need some time to get things done.  Or when my kid who sucks his thumb (at 5) has really dirty fingernails.  Or when my kids are running around and around the buffet table at the church dinner even after they have been told time and again to stop.  Or when my 2 year old runs around with a Star Wars gun saying "I kill you." 

I am that mom. 

But you know what?  My 2 year old spontaneously says "I love you mama" on a regular basis.  And my five year old begs for me to read him Bible stories.  And the 2 year prays for literally everyone he knows when we remember to say prayers at bedtime . . ...  And they sleep in the same bed together and hold hands sometimes when they walk down the hall together.  And they are healthy and beautiful and funny. 

I'm not taking credit for all of that because there are a lot of people to thank.  But I have learned that as silly as everyone thought it sounded at the time, it really does take a village.  And mom's aren't perfect - any of them.  And my kids learn from imperfections as much as from the things I do right. 

And now, I really try to never judge but to always look at other moms (and dads) with compassion. 


Thank you to those of you who show me compassion when you see (or hear) me in Wal-Mart.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I love this post. You have no idea how many times I have said ALMOST the EXACT same things. :) BTW, I didn't get to talk to you last week, but I was so impressed by your little guy and his singing at school! Way to go! He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete